Sunday, September 14, 2008

Twitter

After last weeks class I became fascinated with the Twitter service and wanted to learn more about it. Twitter was launched in 2006 and in two years has over 2,200,000 accounts registered. The idea of micro blogging is something we are all familiar with socially as the service is similar to the status updates on facebook or myspace. Twitter, although used socially, is also well positioned to be a successful marketing tool for the tech savvy consumer. For instance, Whole Foods, whose "tweets" I have subscribed to receive, update at least three times a day with different promotions. An earlier posting this week was "Bring your pooch to the Northridge Whole Foods for the Dog Days of Summer," or " Craving some Shellfish? Try this great recipe for Mediterranean Mussels (with a recipe link attached)." I think from a marketing standpoint Twitter can be very useful. Constantly updating promotions, ideas while building customer loyalty. 

I believe that Twitter certainly has a place in the meetings and events industry. This past week, fashion week in Manhattan, twitter was used by several different companies. Vogue for example, updated what runway show was happening and the location hoping to get those linked in to travel from show to show.  I feel like Twitter would work even on a smaller event scale like a trade show.  Exhibitors could update talks, speaker spots, even cocktail receptions  reminding attendees what events are available and making an event paperless. 

I do not see myself using this service for personal updates or to follow the updates of my friends but I am going to continue watching Whole Foods, NASA ad BBC. 

No comments: